TechFlow news, June 24 — According to the Financial Times, a senior official warned that if the EU wants to secure a good deal, it must issue a "credible threat" of retaliation in the trade war initiated by Trump ahead of the upcoming negotiation deadline. Two EU officials said that Scheubert, chief of staff to the President of the European Commission, told EU ambassadors last week after the G7 summit that the prospect of a strong response would help persuade US President Trump to lower high tariffs imposed on the EU. German Chancellor Merz also hinted his government would back tougher measures. He said Tuesday: "If no agreement is reached, we are prepared to use various options. We can and will defend our interests." Scheubert told ambassadors that Commission President von der Leyen was ready to escalate negotiations to secure a better deal. He asked them to support a package of tariffs on €95 billion worth of US goods and said the Commission was also preparing measures targeting services—such as taxing US tech companies and restricting US firms' access to public procurement contracts. One official said the message being conveyed was that "we need to exert leverage through credible rebalancing measures." (Jinshi)
Navigating Web3 tides with focused insights
Contribute An Article
Media Requests
Risk Disclosure: This website's content is not investment advice and offers no trading guidance or related services. Per regulations from the PBOC and other authorities, users must be aware of virtual currency risks. Contact us / support@techflowpost.com ICP License: 琼ICP备2022009338号




